Introductions and Promises for the Future of This Space



I'll assume that you landed here purely by accident, so I'll be blunt. This blog is a chronicle of a horrible, soul-scarring ritual I perform every week with people who used to be my friends, but well, this thing we do has turned us all into toxic, hateful monsters. 

We play Yugioh, and not the way it was ever meant to be played. A two player game, I decided to try it with three people one day. What's the worst that could happen? How about four people? As time went on, we added stakes to the game, reasoning that if everyone has 8000 Life Points, why not give each person eight movies, knocking a movie out of their stack each time 1000 Life Points are lost? This may sound "fun" or "cute" to you, but I assure you, it is not. The entire process of elimination goes on for hours, and is rivaled only by Monopoly in terms of how long it takes to play this fucking game. The other horrible part is how badly we want to win. And there is no mercy. Alliances are pledged, and then swiftly broken, ending friendships that extend all the way back to high school. Yet we arrive, week in and out, to drink, play Yugioh, and watch terrible movies no one even wants to see. 

Oh, and that's the worst part of the entire ritual. Long ago, me and my friend, Mr Christ, decided to watch Hellraiser. No big, right? It's a classic horror movie, and even came in a cool collector's box. We watched the second one, and enjoyed it enough to check out the others. To my delight, they were all bad, so bad they were amazing. Somewhere down the line, we created the Picks so we wouldn't just watch Hellraiser movies; we could potentially watch other movies. If you've read this far, I trust you know what "Yugioh" and a "Synchro Summon" is. Well, this all really took off back when Synchro Summoning was a thing. Being a lover of Norse mythology and all things Thor, I went out and built myself an Aesir deck, and managed to dominate the Picks for a while. My dominance continued for so long that I made Mr Christ and many other sufferers watch the entirety of not just the Hellraiser series, but also the Pupper Master, Leprechaun, and The Howling series. 

Though I got a ton of laughs out of those happy times, there were several things that happened as a result of this. The first was that the other participants in the Picks also began to bring terrible movies, and the second is that it attracted the attention of the real life King of Games himself, Clownyknight, who also has a Youtube channel where he plays this stupid game. I've been documenting our exploits for about a year now, and that blog, which I have just updated today can be found here. I am planning to move Death and Card Games here permanently, but I need to figure out how to use Blogger over my little Weebly site. Either way, be sure to check back, and read through the backlog of the Weebly site until we move here. That is still the official home of Pinhead's Picks.


Comments